2koolperformance 5pointcottage burgerworld northbayatvclub 2koolperformance 5pointcottage
Quaddealers
News and Announcements
Mudhole Links
Mudhole.ca is for sale!!
Contact Larry via email at admin@mudhole.ca for info!!

It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:45 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:56 am 

My Ride: 2014 Can Am 500maxxt
Well I bought my first ever quad bike yesterday a 2014 Can Am 500 max xt in yellow.

I am a new rider and had little experience riding and so had very little to go on making my decision.
I had a bad accident on one about 20 years ago and so have been a little shy to get one since.
I did borrow one a few years ago and took it out on an ice fishing expedition. Even though I spent half the day digging it out of the snow it was so much fun that I just couldn't hold back any longer.

I wanted a 2up and after doing some research narrowed it down to either polaris or Can Am.
I have not managed to find any good reviews on Artic Cat.
I was seriously considering a polaris after a buddy of mine buried his in the Trent Severn waterway for 2 weeks.
After he recovered it he drained and replaced all of the fluids, changed out the battery but did nothing with the wiring. It started first time and 2 years later he is still riding it. Now that is impressive!

However, after doing some research I had too look into Can Am's and being a new rider I figured I would be looking at 550 polaris or 500 Can Am.
After sending out a couple of emails to different dealers only the polaris guy got back to me with a smoking deal.
550 2up out the door with tax, in blue to match my truck (the wife was with me) $10,338.
I don't know if the Can Am dealers think they have such a great product that they think rudeness is an acceptable sales pitch but it left me feeling indignant and I very nearly forgot about Can Am's.
It was only because I was in Toronto and realized that I was driving right by a dealer on Kennedy Rd that I decided to call in and check Em out. I told the sales guy about the non response to my email. He was pissed! He got straight on the horn, called up the dealership and gave them shit. Anybody in the store heard what he said and I was back on board . The guy was good enough to tell me to stick with my local dealers as they could probably give me a better deal than he could and he was good enough to tell me to give Polaris a fair shake of the stick. I like honesty like that. Just because he sells Can Am's for a living don't mean shit to him, being an ATV/bike enthusiast he just wants to see riders get the bike that suits them.

So first I visited Polaris dealer and took the 550 for a test ride around the back. It was a good ride, I felt there was enough power, I did like the bike and damm, the blue was a good match for my truck! The sales guy was very helpful and I had every confidence that as a customer I would be dealt with properly both now and in the future. Some things I didn't like we're the vibration from the engine, the whining sound the engine made and the passenger seat wasn't comfy for me although my wife didn't mind it.

So next day over to Can Am dealer. Sales guy very helpful. Went through every detail on the bike. Hell I half expected him to start stripping the machine down right there in the showroom!
So now came the test ride.
As soon as he started the motor I was sold. It sounded more like a bike and less like a chain saw. Anyway the ride was a completely different experience. The machine felt a lot more solid and grounded, the seating position was much better the turning circle felt tighter and the passenger seat feels like an armchair. We had the power steering set to min assist and it felt just right.
In my confusion I thought we were riding a 650. I never did have the throttle pushed all the way in but that thing accelerated so fast it was incredible. Once I got of the machine I realized that it was the 500 that I was riding. I was amazed. Another thing that my wife pointed out was that the power delivery and throttle control was so much smoother than the Polaris.
What don't I like? The colour choice. Red or yellow. We went with yellow but I can tell you we almost bought a 650 just for the silver colour choice. It was only after finding out about the $400 extra that we said "Naw enough is enough"

So overall the Can Am is $2000 more than Polaris but when you add up the extras for Polaris that come standard with Can Am it makes about a $500 difference.
I am convinced I am buying the best Atv for my needs within my budget. I pick it up next Saturday and I will see you all on the trails sometime in the future.

John

Last edited by Johnbrickie on Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:04 am 

My Ride: 13 CanAm 1000XT Max
Sounds like you did your homework............congrats and enjoy the new ride! :thumbs:

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:52 pm 

My Ride: 2013 Outlander 800xt
Enjoy your new ride! You will love it!

2" Lift
Ricochet Skid Plates

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:41 pm 

My Ride: 2014 Can Am 500maxxt
Picked it up today. Took it out on a 109km run.
Yes I do love it.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:02 pm 

My Ride: 2010 Can-Am 800R XTP
congrats on the new ride. CAN-AM!!!

2014 CAN-AM Renegade 1000 Xxc / CVTech clutch / WildBoar Front/Rear Bumpers and Rear Rack / Warn RT30 Winch / Riccochet Skids / 28" Mega Mayhems / 12" MSA Nuke Rims / 2" Rox Bar Riser / Ogio Rear Bag / Kolpin Fuel Pack / RAM GPS Mount / Muzzy Dual Slip-on Exhaust / Muzzy Digi-tuner

2010 Can-Am Outlander 800R XT-P - Sold

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:34 pm 

My Ride: Outlander Max L DPS
Johnbrickie how are you enjoying your Can Am?
Like you I just ordered my first ATV.
A 2016 Can Am 450 Outlander L Max DPS.

Rick