2koolperformance 5pointcottage burgerworld northbayatvclub 2koolperformance 5pointcottage
Quaddealers
News and Announcements
Mudhole Links
Mudhole.ca is for sale!!
Contact Larry via email at admin@mudhole.ca for info!!

It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:38 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:38 pm 

My Ride: GRIZZLY FI EPS LE
for the few of me that know me here I bought and owned a 2012 Renegade xxc for a couple of months and sold it mainly because I hated the clutch engagement, especially for slow tech stuff which I love to ride. Enough said I should have rode it before I bought it. Anyway my buddy bought a 800 Outlander brought it up north last weekend to my place in Bancroft and has the same complaints I had. In fact lucky we had the ramps chained to the truck otherwise it would have shot them into the lake when he was loading it up to go home. So does that mean they are all like this? Has anyone found away to soften the way the clutch engages to make it more rideable at slower speeds? Any imput would be appreciated.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:27 pm 

My Ride: 2010 Can-Am 800R XTP
this is where "clutch tuning" comes into play. Ur buddy can just change his primary spring to one with a lower engagement, and he can also try different flyweights. But depending on how much slow, rock climbing riding he's doin, usually Low gear is enuf. I think Dalton Ind. has a spring ment for rock crawlers, tho most people go for higher engage. Stock engage. is around 1700rpm. I have mine set up at 2100. "Thumb Control" is half the battle when it comes to these machines tho.
Why anyone buys a hi-performance machine like the CAN-AM to go slow is beyond me! HAHAHAHAHA!!!
Clutch tuning is very complicated, yet very simple. If he's willing to put in the time, he can make this machine do whatever he wants.
Dalton Industries and Quad Shop Customs(QSC) seem to be the only companies that make the most popular kits. Theres also EPI, but they seem to do mainly higher engage. kits. Dalton Ind. is also canadian and very helpful.
If its his first CAN-AM, or first big-bore atv, i'd suggest he put some good seat time in first and get used to "thumb control".
Either way, its a CAN-AM, it can do anything!! LOL

2014 CAN-AM Renegade 1000 Xxc / CVTech clutch / WildBoar Front/Rear Bumpers and Rear Rack / Warn RT30 Winch / Riccochet Skids / 28" Mega Mayhems / 12" MSA Nuke Rims / 2" Rox Bar Riser / Ogio Rear Bag / Kolpin Fuel Pack / RAM GPS Mount / Muzzy Dual Slip-on Exhaust / Muzzy Digi-tuner

2010 Can-Am Outlander 800R XT-P - Sold

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:11 am 

Bombs use the "slip the belt" type snowmobile clutch system with flyweights :roll: .
The 1st (& only!) Bomb I bought would burn the belt trying to tow a light trailer in rough stop & go terrian, actually had to switch back to my old 300 Cat to pull the trailer :???:
There's nothing you can do when the primary is spinning at motor RPM & it's trying to initiate movement from a belt that's stopped!! You either engage & move NOW! or slip the belt till it burns the belt or wears grooves in the primary or both :smile:

04 Grizz sold good machine hard on wheel bearings
04 Bomb sold POS
00 Cat sold good machine
89 Suz 4x sold good machine
couple Hondas sold
Argo sold

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:35 am 

My Ride: ....
What year bike?

I have absolutely no problem crawling with my 2010 max. In fact, I would argue that it's better than my 800 Popo was.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:04 am 

choPppps wrote:
What year bike?

I have absolutely no problem crawling with my 2010 max. In fact, I would argue that it's better than my 800 Popo was.

I think it is an 08 or 09 with about 4k on it. Maybe we should try a belt 1st off before fkn with the clutches. From what I have read anything done to the clutches only provides modest improvements and your results may vary from one quad to another.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:17 am 

senior wrote:
Bombs use the "slip the belt" type snowmobile clutch system with flyweights :roll: .
The 1st (& only!) Bomb I bought would burn the belt trying to tow a light trailer in rough stop & go terrian, actually had to switch back to my old 300 Cat to pull the trailer :???:
There's nothing you can do when the primary is spinning at motor RPM & it's trying to initiate movement from a belt that's stopped!! You either engage & move NOW! or slip the belt till it burns the belt or wears grooves in the primary or both :smile:

yup this is how it acts and thats how my Renegade was, it's either engaged or not. The belt on my 1000 was shot in the first hundred miles and used low range for the majority of that ride. Problem is he drives truck and barley has time to ride let alone spending hours trying to figure a way to improve is clutch engagement. The Can Am engineers should have had that figured out by now, and if they can't I'm pretty sure we won't be able to do it in a couple of afternoons out in the garage. I don't want this to turn into a pissing match of what quad is better or not but compared to my 550 xp the clutch engagement is abrupt. I can feather along a trail for hours and not burn the belt and my other buddy's grizzly is the same way probably even better than the polaris. Granted the can am has more motor but I'm thinking that shouldn't effect clutch engagement.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:48 am 

My Ride: ....
ATVBud wrote:
choPppps wrote:
What year bike?

I think it is an 08 or 09 with about 4k on it. Maybe we should try a belt 1st off before fkn with the clutches. From what I have read anything done to the clutches only provides modest improvements and your results may vary from one quad to another.

Can you confirm if it has the "R" motor or not. The "R" has different programming to make low end more manageable.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:23 pm 

choPppps wrote:
ATVBud wrote:
choPppps wrote:
What year bike?

Can you confirm if it has the "R" motor or not. The "R" has different programming to make low end more manageable.

Yes has "R" motor

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:08 am 

I have a Renegade and I have no issue with it. Takes some getting used to but once you do, its the most versitile machine out there!

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:00 pm 

My Ride: 2014 Grizzly 700 SE
senior wrote:

Man that is one pissed off Can Am Hating Mailman... :grin:

- Zillas wrapped around SS 212 Black Matte Rims
- Yamaha Skids
- 3000 lb Superwinch
- Grip and Thumb Warmers
- Moose Rear Soft Bag
- Garmin GPS Map62s / RAM Mount
- SPOT 2 Satelite Messenger
- GoPro HD Helmut Cam

Photos: http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa17 ... adventure/
Video:(2007 - Present) - YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/My17A/videos?view=pl

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:32 pm 

My Ride: 09 800r max xt
Let me get this straight someone sold his 2012 Rene xxc and settled for a 550 Polaris :lol: because of clutch issues. I'll bet he's very heavy handed at the controls and must hurts himself when he's jerking off :lol: just my 2 cents. It's all good :grin:

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:15 pm 

My Ride: 2012 Outlander 1000
Well hopefully you enjoy your polaris.......... senior....... Nice trolling pal, you win the internet!

Airdam Primary
Ricochet skids
Can am heated handgrips

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:30 pm 

Hey Guys I can vouch for Senior, he is a good man to have on a ride. First guy to jump into a hole and pull someone out and knows how to handle a machine......... :thumbs: I have been kidding him about the mailman thing for some time. He just hates Can Am is all.......:eek:

- Yamaha Skids
- 3000 lb Superwinch
- Grip and Thumb Warmers
- Moose Rear Soft Bag
- GoPro HD Helmut Cam

Video:(2007 - Present) - YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/My17A/videos?view=pl

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:56 pm 

17A wrote:
Hey Guys I can vouch for Senior, he is a good man to have on a ride. First guy to jump into a hole and pull someone out and knows how to handle a machine......... :thumbs: I have been
kidding him about the mailman thing for some time. He just hates Can Am is all.......:eek:

Yup I just joined Seniors camp as a fellow Can Am hater. 10 hours into our ride yesterday my Buddiy's
Outlander pos started missing and we had to cut our ride short and nurse it home. Today we couldn't ride at all cause the engine light is on and it keeps cutting out.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:02 pm 

My Ride: 2008 700 Grizzly
probably overheating

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:27 pm 

ATVBud wrote:
17A wrote:
Hey Guys I can vouch for Senior, he is a good man to have on a ride. First guy to jump into a hole and pull someone out and knows how to handle a machine......... :thumbs: I have been
kidding him about the mailman thing for some time. He just hates Can Am is all.......:eek:

Yup I just joined Seniors camp as a fellow Can Am hater. 10 hours into our ride yesterday my Buddiy's
Outlander pos started missing and we had to cut our ride short and nurse it home. Today we couldn't ride at all cause the engine light is on and it keeps cutting out.

xxxxxxxx Can Am's.... :lol6

- Yamaha Skids
- 3000 lb Superwinch
- Grip and Thumb Warmers
- Moose Rear Soft Bag
- GoPro HD Helmut Cam

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:10 pm 

lots of useful information in this thread, a polaris owner talking about breakdowns, I suppose thats a very common thing :beer: :ride:

Airdam Primary
Ricochet skids
Can am heated handgrips

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:38 pm 

the duke wrote:
lots of useful information in this thread, a polaris owner talking about breakdowns, I suppose thats a very common thing :beer: :ride:

Wow what makes Can Am owners so defensive of their quads? I merely stated the truth of what happened. Go read somewhere else if you don't like what's here. Oh noticed a long list of mods you had to do to your's to make it rideable including clutch work or is it that you just have too much money? If you like your Can Am good for you I cvould give a xxxx. All I know his xxxxed up a good weekend of riding.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:40 pm 

Not being defensive, If you want to talk about brands its a two way street thats all, I put a primary on my bike because it has a lower starting ratio and accelerates quicker, its a performance mod pal, and it is the can am section....Thats why I noticed your rants and bashing, have a nice day

Airdam Primary
Ricochet skids
Can am heated handgrips

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:43 am 

the duke wrote:
Not being defensive, If you want to talk about brands its a two way street thats all, I put a primary on my bike because it has a lower starting ratio and accelerates quicker, its a performance mod pal, and it is the can am section....Thats why I noticed your rants and bashing, have a nice day

Guess I should have said Very Defensive!

Last edited by ATVBud on Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:02 am 

My Ride: 08 AC TRV 700EFI
Well shit... I was planning on buying a Can Am. Scratch that idea!!

:beer:

Ricktherocket 2" Flex bracket lift, HIDs, Amsteel Blue synthetic winch rope, Hawse fairlead, winch saver, ITP SS212s, 28" Outlaw MSTs, Kimpex trunk box, AC front bumper, 3000lb WARN winch, Garmin 60CX GPS, Hosstopper stick savers, Intake snorkel

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:14 am 

My Ride: Garage is empty
Of course we know Polaris is the ONLY brand that never has an issue. Well except my friends CVT floods EVERY time we get into more than 5" of water. But you know what I have learned to live with it and that EVERY brand has it's deficiencies. The last long weekend we went out his rad blew about 30 Km into what was supposed to be three days of riding. I didn't immediately return and go into the Polaris sub forum and rant and rave about how terrible that brand was and that it ruined two days of riding. Instead I helped him get it going and we enjoyed the rest of our weekend. I don't feel the need to go and tell Polaris owners how stupid they obviously are for buying such a "pos", (to use your terminology).

We all get it you don't like Can Am, Those of us who happen to own and enjoy ours would be very happy, if you just moved on. You sold the one you couldn't handle, you purchased a machine your much happier with. We are all glad you now have a machine you like and can enjoy. If it bothers you soooo much that Can Ams don't perform to your liking then the easiest thing to do is ride ONLY with other Polaris owners and you'll never again be disappointed. But please let us enjoy what we have, in peace, it is called live and let live.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:26 am 

so what we have here is a couple of guys that whatever ATV they happen to own at any given time is the best. We have all ran across this one time or another. I challenge you to read through my passed posts over the years and point out where I ever claimed Polaris or any ATV was the best or where I said Can Am or any ATV was the worst. I merely asked a couple of questions to help a buddy out. As far as my XXC it wasn't the right ATV for me I addmitted that in a thread and moved on long ago. I don't think I even mentioned the couple of issues I had with it the short time that I owned it. But anyway why do you guys care so much what I think? Others here have actually said many things against specific brands and they aren't attact as I am here, they were entittled to their opinion the same as I am. Like I said earlier I don't give a shit what you ride, enjoy! Point is my buddy's Can Am broke down, he has had it for 4 months and the engine light has come on several times, has overheated several times and now the engine is cutting out and we lost a day of riding because of it. If this is bashing I appologize, I am stating facts. Not ranting or bashing as I have falsley been accused of here. So again enjoy your quads and don't take everything so personally, nobody cares what I ride nor do I care what other's ride.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:28 pm 

We're running a bit short on brotherly love in here.

ATVbud - George I know you and you are an excellent guy to go riding with. Don't know the other guys outside of this forum but from reading other topics everyone seems very knowledgable and willing to help each other out. Just agree to disagree and move on. This is turning into a snoozefest.

- Yamaha Skids
- 3000 lb Superwinch
- Grip and Thumb Warmers
- Moose Rear Soft Bag
- GoPro HD Helmut Cam

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:48 pm 

My Ride: 08 AC TRV 700EFI
17A wrote:
We're running a bit short on brotherly love in here.

ATVbud - George I know you and you are an excellent guy to go riding with. Don't know the other guys outside of this forum but from reading other topics everyone seems very knowledgable and willing to help each other out. Just agree to disagree and move on. This is turning into a snoozefest.

:lol6

Ricktherocket 2" Flex bracket lift, HIDs, Amsteel Blue synthetic winch rope, Hawse fairlead, winch saver, ITP SS212s, 28" Outlaw MSTs, Kimpex trunk box, AC front bumper, 3000lb WARN winch, Garmin 60CX GPS, Hosstopper stick savers, Intake snorkel